Saturday, June 5, 2010

You have got to be kidding?!?!

So tonight wasn't too bad. Although after a couple of weeks of non-stop outbursts around here, I'm still left tiptoeing and exhausted.

My mind is running at crazy speeds lately that I can't even think straight, so maybe browsing the web about SPD and other parent blogs for tips and just to feel a sense of 'normal because we're not the only one' probably wasn't such a bright idea at this hour.

I came across a link to this article on another SPD blog (I can't think which one at the moment because I was reading a few tonight):

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/lifestyles/relationships-and-special-occasions/article_9ac24f88-68fe-11df-bdb0-001cc4c002e0.html

It's by Dr. John Rosemond. This article has left me totally speechless (not to mention angry)! You have got to be kidding! I WISH our struggles with Enzo was as simple as taking everything out of his room. I WISH it were that simple because I'd be tossing everything out of his bedroom right now instead of writing this blog.

I'm exhausted and drained...

4 comments:

  1. I saw this when the Facebook group Sensory Planet reposted it. As I said on their site: am I missing something? Who is this guy and what is his background? Have him spend some time with my kid as he tries to climb under my skin when it's too noisy in a room, or almost throws up when he smells something he doesn't like, or can't sleep in anything but long sleeves and pants even in summer or is spinning in circles when he's in a situation he can't control.
    Maybe the little girl he's describing just didn't want to get dressed, and if the clothing was her only symptom then maybe this isolated case was just defiance. But that's not my kid.
    This guy isn't worth getting upset about.
    Alysia
    http://trydefyinggravity.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh you child sleeps in long sleeves too?? mine too! doesn't matter how hot it is, he HAS to wear long jammies and sleeps in a sleeping bag...won't sleep any other way...

    once in a while he'll try to sleep in short sleeves because he says he wants to "make me happy and not hurt my feelings" (which of course I assure him I'm ok with what he's comfortable in) but you can see him cringing at himself and ready to fall out bed hehe

    and he does the whole gagging at certain smells too even tho the smell isn't horrible

    My oldest son use to throw up at the smell of gas when we're pumping and the smell of garlic cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, that article is from my parent's hometown newspaper. I would say that Dr Rosemond has not read enough or seen enough kids with SPD to be able to dismiss it that way.

    We are totally new to the SPD world, having recently had my son evaluated by at OT. Can you suggest any websites or other blogs that I shouldn't miss? I am reading The Out of Sync Child, The Sensory-Sensitive Child, The Out of Sync Child Has Fun, The Explosive Child...do you suggest any others? Also, is there a forum relating to SPD?

    Sorry to ask so many questions, I am so happy to find other parents who can understand and relate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog. My doctor today suggested we see an OT. I suspect our daughter has SPD many of the things you are saying about your son apply to my daughter. She is four and is very bright and energetic. It just seems that sometimes certain things or situations send her "over the edge" Any information you have would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete